COVID-19 Resources for Faith Community Nurses
Below are several resources that may be of interest to Faith Community Nurses and their role in the response to COVID-19:
Guidelines & Recommendations for Faith Communities
- (September 18) Guidance for Gatherings: Faith-based Communities, Places of Worship, and Ceremonies (PDF)
- Minnesota Department of Health - Community Settings: COVID-19 (Web page)
- Guidance on caring for people in their homes; vehicle gatherings, parades, and drive-ins; safe celebrations & events; safely reopening your faith community building.
- COVID-19: Recommended Preventative Practices and FAQs for Faith-based and Community Leaders (PDF)
- CDC: Resources for Community- and Faith-Based Leaders (Web page)
- A Faith-Based Response to the Coronavirus (PDF)
- From the Wisconsin Council of Churches
- Returning to Church: July 2020 Update (PDF)
- From the Wisconsin Council of Churches. While these recommendations are for faith communities in Wisconsin, it includes other resources which may be helpful to faith communities in Minnesota.
- Template: COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan for Faith Communities (Word)
- This document was created by Amy Kircher, DrPH, University of Minnesota. If you would like assistance customizing it for your faith community, please contact Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Example COVID-19 Preparedness Plan (Word)
- This is an example of a plan created by a faith community, updated as of 8/28/2020. It is only meant to serve as an example, FCNs may find it helpful to see the length, format, and type of content another faith community used. FCNs should regularly check with the Minnesota Department of Health for up-to-date guidance.
- Bulletin Insert (Word Doc)
- Shared with permission from Lori Kent, FCN
- Bulletin Insert (Word Doc)
- Shared with permission from Ronnette Sailors, FCN
- "Staying Healthy" newsletter articles (see right sidebar)
Spiritual & Faith-based Resources
- Strategies for Spiritual Caregivers Dealing with the Chaos of Coronavirus: Resource List (PDF)
- Strategies for Spiritual Caregivers Dealing with the Chaos of Coronavirus: (Webcast)
- From the Spiritual Care Association, click here to view the PDF of webinar slides.
- Religious and Spiritual Resources (Webpage)
- From Advocate Aurora Health, information on livestreaming services, prayers, meditations and more for a variety of faith traditions.
- Faith Based Communities: Staying Safe (MDH/FCNN Webinar slides)
- Faith Based Communities: Staying Safe (MDH/FCNN Webinar recording)
Faith Community Nursing in the Time of COVID
- Zoom offers video tutorials and interactive live-training webinars to help you learn basics or build your Zoom skills. This is a resource for FCNs who have taken support groups, educational events, etc. to a virtual format.
Related Health Topics
- Considering Faith, Community, and Mental Health During the COVID-19 Crisis (PDF)
- COVID-19 Response Resources from Center to Advance Palliative Care
- Coping with Covid: A Mental Health Resource (Videos)
- 30 minute version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUHJZvQrnE&t=159s
- From MDH, video PSAs, posters, shareable social media graphics about responding to COVID-19, in multiple languages
- From our friends at Metro Meals on Wheels: Until December 31st, 2020 anyone over the age of 18 who does not qualify for meals through other programs (Elderly Waiver, Disability Waiver, etc.) is eligible to receive meals from Meals on Wheels at no cost. Those who receive Meals on Wheels through Title III or a waiver program may qualify for additional meals. To enroll yourself or someone else in a Metro Meals on Wheels program visit https://meals-on-wheels.com/get-meals/sign-up/
The "Staying Healthy" weekly articles provide information and education on Covid-19 relevant topics. These documents are created by Nancy Lee Nelson, J.D., MPH, BAN, FCN who has generously given permission for other faith community nurses to use them for their own faith community newsletters.
NOTE: Please do not modify Nancy's work, and be sure to credit her with a proper citation.
- Staying Healthy: Spirituality and Prayer (PDF)
- COVID 19 Vaccine Research Development
- Improving Immunity by Minimizing Stress
- Supporting Your Immune System- Physical Fitness
- Supporting Your Immune System- Quality Sleep Strategies
- Supporting Your Immune System in the Era of the Pandemic
- Credible Facts About Covid-19
- Supporting Others
- Resiliency in the Era of the Pandemic
- Nutrition, Meal Planning, and Grocery Shopping
- Resources and Tools to Care for Ourselves and Others