The Faith Community Nurse Network provides training and support to faith community nurses to lead Living Well with Chronic Conditions in their congregations and other community settings.
Living Well with Chronic Conditions (LWCC) empowers older adults who have chronic conditions – or their caregivers – to recognize and carry out health strategies that help them better manage everyday life. LWCC is also known as the Chronic Disease Self Management Program and was developed by researchers at Stanford University. Learn more about the program.
Research has found that people who complete a Living Well workshop:
- Feel healthier and have a better quality of life
- Experience fewer sick days and days in depression
- Are better able to manage symptoms like fatigue, pain, shortness of breath, stress, and sleep problems
- Are more physically active
- Improve communication with their doctors
- Take medications as prescribed
- Feel more confident when completing medical forms
What is a LWCC workshop?
- Small group workshop, 12 – 16 participants
- 2 ½ hours per session, 1 session per week for 6 weeks
- Held in comfortable community settings
- Participants with different chronic conditions attend together
- Led by two trained leaders, one or both of whom have chronic conditions
- Participants get peer support, learn self-management and problem-solving strategies, chose their own goals and make personalized step-by-step plans to live a healthy life with a chronic condition.
- Participants gain skills and confidence needed to achieve lifestyle improvements and become an expert dealing with their own health challenges.
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Living Well with Chronic Conditions workshop can be found on a separate password-protected webpage. The tools and resources in this section of the website are for FCNN Leaders.
Become a LWCC Leader
Dates for in-person and virtual Leader trainings for fall 2021 are being finalized. Join our email list if you would like to receive information about the training as it becomes available.
If you have questions about bringing a Living Well with Chronic Conditions workshop to your community, becoming a leader, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Jessica Drecktrah, Chief Nursing Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-237-4639.
If you have questions about bringing a Living Well with Chronic Conditions workshop to your community, becoming a leader, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Cheryl Lanigan, Program Director at email@example.com or 952-322-4144.