The Faith Community Nurse Network provides training and support to faith community nurses to lead Living Well with Chronic Conditions in their congregations and other community settings.
Living Well with Chronic Conditions (LWCC) empowers older adults who have chronic conditions – or their caregivers – to recognize and carry out health strategies that help them better manage everyday life. LWCC is also known as the Chronic Disease Self Management Program and was developed by researchers at Stanford University. Learn more about the program.
Research has found that people who complete a Living Well workshop:
- Feel healthier and have a better quality of life
- Experience fewer sick days and days in depression
- Are better able to manage symptoms like fatigue, pain, shortness of breath, stress, and sleep problems
- Are more physically active
- Improve communication with their doctors
- Take medications as prescribed
- Feel more confident when completing medical forms
What is a LWCC workshop?
- Small group workshop, 12 – 16 participants
- 2 ½ hours per session, 1 session per week for 6 weeks
- Held in comfortable community settings
- Participants with different chronic conditions attend together
- Led by two trained leaders, one or both of whom have chronic conditions
- Participants get peer support, learn self-management and problem-solving strategies, chose their own goals and make personalized step-by-step plans to live a healthy life with a chronic condition.
- Participants gain skills and confidence needed to achieve lifestyle improvements and become an expert dealing with their own health challenges.
Interested in Becoming a Leader?
Dates of Next Training: Leaders must attend all four days — Thurs., April 4 & Fri., April 5 AND Thur., April 11 & Fri., April 12, 2024 All days 8:30 to 4:00
Location: Waite Park Church, NE Minneapolis
Cost: $150 FCN or staff/volunteers of Collaborative Partners who will be leading in coordination with FCNN. $600 for all other Providers, Juniper Providers may be able to receive a discounted rate – that rate is still being determined.
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Living Well with Chronic Conditions workshop can be found on a separate password-protected webpage. The tools and resources in this section of the website are for FCNN Leaders.
If you have questions about bringing a Living Well with Chronic Conditions workshop to your community, becoming a leader, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Jessica Drecktrah, Chief Nursing Officer, at email@example.com or 612-237-4639.
Our evidence-based programs are supported by funding from the Live Well at Home grant from the Minnesota Department of Human Services. This program is also funded under contract with Trellis, Inc. as part of the Older Americans Act Program. We support evidence-based programs in partnership with Juniper, a statewide network of healthcare providers, health plans, housing providers, and community based organizations, all dedicated to improving the health of the communities we serve — together.