The Faith Community Nurse Network provides training and support to faith community nurses to lead A Matter of Balance in their congregations and other community settings.
Our Matter of Balance (MOB) program is a small-group workshop for people age 60+ who have fallen or are concerned about falling. MOB offers practical strategies to improve attitudes, behavior, and fear of falling through exercise, identifying environmental fall risks, and goal-setting. Classes are highly participatory, where mutual support helps to build participants’ confidence around falls. An introductory falls prevention program, MOB aims to reduce fear of falling and increase participants’ activity levels.
Research has found that people who complete a Matter of Balance workshop:
- Are more physically active
- Reduce social limitations
- Experience more positive mental health
- Improved confidence in ability to prevent falls and manage falls risk
What is a MOB workshop?
- Small group workshop with 10-14 participants
- 2-hour sessions, 1 session each week for 8 weeks or 2 sessions each week for 4 weeks
- Held in comfortable community settings
- Participants with a history of falls or fear of falling attend together
- Participants receive a class workbook
- Led by two trained leaders, one visit from guest PT/OT/RN professional
Become a Coach
Become a Matter of Balance Coach with the Faith Community Nurse Network and learn how to lead this 8-session, small group falls prevention program for older adults.
- Dates: December 7 & 9 *
- There is the potential that we may schedule an additional day of training to cover leading virtual MOB workshops at a date TBD. We intend to cover this in the 2 day format.
- Time: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- Location: Virtual training via Zoom
- Cost: $50 for faith community nurses, collaborative partners, and individuals leading workshops with FCNN. $600 for individuals not working with FCNN to lead workshops.
- Facilitated by: Cheryl Lanigan, faith community nurse and Jessica Drecktrah, faith community nurse
Join our email list if you would like to receive information about upcoming Leader trainings.
If you have questions about bringing a Matter of Balance workshop to your community, becoming a leader, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Jessica Drecktrah, Chief Nursing Officer, at email@example.com or 612-237-4639.
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Matter of Balance workshop.
Promoting Your Workshop
Planning Your Workshop