The Faith Community Nurse Network provides training and support to faith community nurses to lead A Matter of Balance in their congregations and other community settings.
Our Matter of Balance (MOB) program is a small-group workshop for people age 60+ who have fallen or are concerned about falling. MOB offers practical strategies to improve attitudes, behavior, and fear of falling through exercise, identifying environmental fall risks, and goal-setting. Classes are highly participatory, where mutual support helps to build participants’ confidence around falls. An introductory falls prevention program, MOB aims to reduce fear of falling and increase participants’ activity levels.
Research has found that people who complete a Matter of Balance workshop:
- Are more physically active
- Reduce social limitations
- Experience more positive mental health
- Improved confidence in ability to prevent falls and manage falls risk
What is a MOB workshop?
- Small group workshop with 10-14 participants
- 2-hour sessions, 1 session each week for 8 weeks or 2 sessions each week for 4 weeks
- Held in comfortable community settings
- Participants with a history of falls or fear of falling attend together
- Participants receive a class workbook
- Led by two trained leaders, one visit from guest PT/OT/RN professional
Become a Facilitator
Become a Matter of Balance Facilitator with the Faith Community Nurse Network and learn how to lead this eight session, small group Matter of Balance program for older adults.
- Dates: June 2 -3
- Time: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- Location: TBD (Virtual via Zoom or in-person in the Twin Cities)
- Cost: $50 for faith community nurses, collaborative partners, and individuals leading workshops with FCNN. $150 for select Juniper sponsored individuals. $600 for individuals not working with FCNN to lead workshops.
- Facilitated by: Cheryl Lanigan, MA, BSN, PHN, faith community nurse and Jessica Drecktrah, MHA, MN, RN, faith community nurse
Resources for Coaches
Resources for planning and leading your Matter of Balance workshop can be found on a separate password-protected webpage. The tools and resources in this section of the website are for FCNN Coaches.
If you have questions about bringing a Matter of Balance workshop to your community, becoming a Coach, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Jessica Drecktrah, Chief Nursing Officer, at email@example.com or 612-237-4639.
Join our email list if you would like to receive information about upcoming Coach trainings.
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Matter of Balance workshop.
Promoting Your Workshop
Planning Your Workshop
Our evidence-based programs are supported by funding from the Live Well at Home grant from the Minnesota Department of Human Services. This program is also funded under contract with Trellis, Inc. as part of the Older Americans Act Program. We support evidence-based programs in partnership with Juniper, a statewide network of healthcare providers, health plans, housing providers, and community based organizations, all dedicated to improving the health of the communities we serve — together.