The Faith Community Nurse Network provides training and support to faith community nurses to lead A Matter of Balance in their congregations and other community settings.
Our Matter of Balance (MOB) program is a small-group workshop for people age 60+ who have fallen or are concerned about falling. MOB offers practical strategies to improve attitudes, behavior, and fear of falling through exercise, identifying environmental fall risks, and goal-setting. Classes are highly participatory, where mutual support helps to build participants’ confidence around falls. An introductory falls prevention program, MOB aims to reduce fear of falling and increase participants’ activity levels.
Research has found that people who complete a Matter of Balance workshop:
- Are more physically active
- Reduce social limitations
- Experience more positive mental health
- Improved confidence in ability to prevent falls and manage falls risk
What is a MOB workshop?
- Small group workshop with 10-14 participants
- 2-hour sessions, 1 session each week for 8 weeks or 2 sessions each week for 4 weeks
- Held in comfortable community settings
- Participants with a history of falls or fear of falling attend together
- Participants receive a class workbook
- Led by two trained leaders, one visit from guest PT/OT/RN professional
Become a Leader
Due to social distancing restrictions to mitigate the spread of Covid-19, leader training in the first part of 2021 will likely take place on a virtual platform. Dates and times are still to be determined. Join our email list if you would like to receive information as it becomes available. You can also contact us directly to be added to an interest list for the training.
If you have questions about bringing a Matter of Balance workshop to your community, becoming a leader, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Cheryl Lanigan, Program Director at email@example.com or 952-322-4144.
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Matter of Balance workshop.
Promoting Your Workshop
Planning Your Workshop