The Faith Community Nurse Network provides training and support to faith community nurses to lead Living Well with Diabetes in their congregations and other community settings.
Our Living Well with Diabetes (LWD) program is a small-group workshop for people age 60+ who have a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Also known as Diabetes Self-Management Program, LWD offers strategies that will give participants the confidence, motivation, and skills needed to manage living with diabetes. Topics include managing fatigue, hyper/hypoglycemia, stress, depression, appropriate exercise, healthy eating, medication management, and communicating with health care providers among others. Classes are highly participatory, where mutual support helps to build participants’ confidence in their ability to maintain active and fulfilling lives.
Research has found that people who complete a Living Well workshop:
- Feel healthier and have a better quality of life
- Demonstrate self-efficacy and patient activation
- Improved communication with medical providers
- Greater medication adherence and management of depression and hypoglycemia
What is a LWD workshop?
- Small group workshop with 12 – 16 participants
- 2 ½ hour sessions, 1 session each week for 6 weeks
- Held in comfortable community settings
- Participants with type 2 diabetes attend together
- Participants receive a book, “Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions” along with guided relaxation CD
- Led by two trained leaders, one or both of whom have diabetes
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Living Well with Diabetes workshop can be found on a separate password-protected webpage. The tools and resources in this section of the website are for FCNN Leaders.
Become a Leader
Join our email list if you would like to receive information about upcoming Leader trainings.
If you have questions about bringing a Living Well with Diabetes workshop to your community, becoming a leader, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Jessica Drecktrah, Chief Nursing Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-237-4639.
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Living Well with Diabetes course.
Promoting Your Workshop
Planning Your Workshop
Our evidence-based programs are supported by funding from the Live Well at Home grant from the Minnesota Department of Human Services. This program is also funded under contract with Trellis, Inc. as part of the Older Americans Act Program. We support evidence-based programs in partnership with Juniper, a statewide network of healthcare providers, health plans, housing providers, and community based organizations, all dedicated to improving the health of the communities we serve — together.