The Faith Community Nurse Network provides training and support to faith community nurses to lead Living Well with Diabetes in their congregations and other community settings.
Our Living Well with Diabetes (LWD) program is a small-group workshop for people age 60+ who have a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Also known as Diabetes Self-Management Program, LWD offers strategies that will give participants the confidence, motivation, and skills needed to manage living with diabetes. Topics include managing fatigue, hyper/hypoglycemia, stress, depression, appropriate exercise, healthy eating, medication management, and communicating with health care providers among others. Classes are highly participatory, where mutual support helps to build participants’ confidence in their ability to maintain active and fulfilling lives.
Research has found that people who complete a Living Well workshop:
- Feel healthier and have a better quality of life
- Demonstrate self-efficacy and patient activation
- Improved communication with medical providers
- Greater medication adherence and management of depression and hypoglycemia
What is a LWD workshop?
- Small group workshop with 12 – 16 participants
- 2 ½ hour sessions, 1 session each week for 6 weeks
- Held in comfortable community settings
- Participants with type 2 diabetes attend together
- Participants receive a book, “Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions” along with guided relaxation CD
- Led by two trained leaders, one or both of whom have diabetes
Become a Leader
Due to social distancing restrictions to mitigate the spread of Covid-19, leader training in spring 2021 will take place on a virtual platform. Dates and times are still to be determined. Join our email list if you would like to receive information as it becomes available. You can also contact us directly to be added to an interest list for the training.
If you have questions about bringing a Living Well with Diabetes workshop to your community, becoming a leader, or would just like additional information about the program, contact Cheryl Lanigan, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-322-4144.
Resources for Leaders
Resources for planning and leading your Living Well with Diabetes course.
Promoting Your Workshop
Planning Your Workshop