Depression in Older Adults: Assessment, Programming and Resources
The incidence of depression in persons over the age of 65 is increasing but often undiagnosed. Depression can impact the quality of life, function, health and risk of death among older adults. In this symposium, you’ll learn about effective ways to screen for depression and the interventions and resources to help clients.
ANA Scope and Practice Standards for Faith Community Nursing:
Standard 16: Resource Utilization: The faith community nurse utilizes appropriate resources to plan, provide and sustain evidence-based nursing services that are safe, effective and fiscally responsible.
Learning Objectives: As a result of attending this symposium, participants will be able to:
- Explain the importance of early detection, treatment and education in depression.
- Identify a screening tool for depression (PHQ- 9) and the need for a suicide protocol.
- Describe the PEARLS program as an example of an intervention for depression in seniors.
- Identify services and community resources to assist FCNs as they plan and provide care to their clients with depression and other health issues.
- Describe strategies for the intentional care of the spirit for those with depression.
- Program Guide
- 2023 Crisis Resource Handout
- Dr. Buddensiek’s PowerPoint Slides 3 per page | 1 per page | In Color
- Intentional Care for those with Depression – Jill PowerPoint Slides 1 per page
- PEARLS Overview – Jess PowerPoint Slides 3 per page | 1 per page
- 988 Someone to Talk to – Emily PowerPoint Slides 2 per page
- Gray Matters – NAMI – Kay PowerPoint Slides 1 per page
- Friends, Co. – Services Postcard
- Emerald Crest Memory Care Listing 1 | Listing 2
- Flyers Lyngblomsten | Ecumen
- Welcome Loop Powerpoint
- Main Powerpoint
Other Resources Mentioned by Speakers
There are resources throughout the powerpoint presentations and a resource sheet that are downloadable from links provided above. Here are a couple other items that were mentioned in the Symposium.
- Mental Health First Aid Course (M Health Fairview)
- Complete List or the Approved Nanda Nursing Diagnosis list for 2020-2022 https://nurse.org